Our Outreach Process
Interested in Volunteering in Central or South America?
SOS has over 20 volunteer abroad opportunities every year! Most of our volunteer opportunities last 2 weeks, though we do offer one-week trips during reading week. Whether one week or two, volunteers work on a construction project in a community in Central or South America to support sustainable education initiatives with a team of volunteers.
Teams work on the construction of various infrastructure projects, such as classrooms, teacher houses, sustainable gardens, and dining centers. Volunteers are housed in the local communities where they work, and are fully immersed in a new culture for the duration of the trip.
This is the perfect opportunity for those wanting to travel and learn about a new culture while contributing to a great cause. Even if you are no longer a student, interested youth under the age of 30 are encouraged to apply for a spot on an Outreach Trip! For more information check out our FAQ.
“Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can not be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” ? Mark Twain
Safety, Logistics & Prices
4. Program Fees
We understand that our primary volunteers are university students with limited funds and our work in Latin America means that we can offer more affordable trips. On average, the total program fees for a two-week outreach trip costs between $1,600 and $1,900.
This amount includes:
- Core program fees of $850 (volunteer) or $950 (non-volunteer). For 1-week trips, the costs are $650 or $750.
- Round-trip flight
- Comprehensive Tavel and medical insurance
- All meals while in community
- Spanish Translater
- Two trip leaders (one from SOS and one from our NGO partner)
- In country transportation to/from airport and project site
- Pre/during/post trip support, including Spanish resources
The program fees paid to SOS do not include:
- Entry/exit requirements (if required by the country, around $30)
- Any weekend rest day excursions and personal spending
- Immunizations or gear necessary for the trip
Volunteer safety is our primary concern. This means: